page contents

Tuesday 16 August 2016

EXakt Saw EC310N - Gear fault repair - put it back together

Righty. The new parts arrived today. The gear was £7.99 and the brushes were £3.99. I should say at this point that having since checked the existing brushes, I decided to leave them in a bit longer (to get my money's worth and all that). So, this post is just about replacing the brass gear.

First, some pictures of the new bits:







Now I'm going to swap the brass gear. The gear assembly is held together with a circlip. Remove the circlip, then remove the bearing and finally the gear itself:






I did contemplate simply putting everything back together at this point but, really, there was a lot of swarf in the gearbox grease. So I decided to clean things up a bit. This was quite messy and I didn't take any pictures. What I'm left with in the next picture is a cleaned up gearbox with everything re-assembled:





Looking good. Here's the other part of the drive gear. I've also cleaned that side of things out. I added some fresh grease (in the end and after a great deal of deliberation, I added a bit more than what can be seen in the picture):




So now its time to re-assemble the device. Before attaching the gearbox plate, replace the spring and end-stop assembly in its channel. There's a small metal bush which goes in there as well. I've highlighted it in the picture:





At this point the two halves of the device can be put back together. However, I found that the easiest way of getting that rogue nut to stay in place was to attach it to the depth-stop screw first. Then put the two halves back together and screw them up. Finally remove the depth-stop screw, replace the collar and rubber seal, and re-fit the depth-stop screw:



That's it. All being well, you'll now have a fully working Exakt saw. I do :)

More soon, no doubt...


D

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated before publication. If you'd prefer to keep your comment private, please say so and it will not be published.